Sunday 3 January 2016

Review: H Is For Hawk by Helen McDonald

Helen Macdonald's world is thrown askew by the sudden death of her father. An enthusiastic ornithologist, she decides that this is the perfect time to procure and train a falcon. This book details that journey. 

The one redeeming feature of this book is that it is exceptionally well-written, with some beautiful prose that captured her experiences. I suspect this is the reason why the book has proven so popular, and has won awards.

I struggled to find anything else good to say about this book. I read it for a book club meeting, and if I hadn't felt compelled to push on through for that reason, I would have given up within the first twenty pages. I found the story-within-a-story-within-a-story structure really started to grate after a while. I have extremely limited interest in matters ornithological, admittedly, but I found the characters so peculiarly obsessed with their feathered friends that the story seemed quite sinister at times. 

A rather fowl reading experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment